Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sense of belonging

4 months into my training into Housemanship, I began to gauge how life had treated me so far. And I'm glad how things are right now with few exceptions. I could be 'stranded' in far 'ulu' places where the nearest grocery store is 3 km away. And I couldn't complain about the 5 shopping complexes within 5 km from where I stay.

Judging from the complaints and rantings of my fellow coursemates all over Malaysia, I couldn't feel that my training in JB is any worse than their experiences. I may not have the luxury of exposure to Mother Nature but I would mind, especially with all that mosquito bite marks on my whole body.

Travelling home is 4 hours and RM 30 away compared to 5 hours and RM 100 if I'm still at East Malaysia. Early rounds can be taxing and calls unbearable, but I know that I'm serving my fellow countrymen. My interest push me forward while my desire to return to KL stopped me from looking back. 16.66% of the road has been completed without any delay. 16.66% of myself had considered myself part of the JB community.

Compared to other places where my colleagues were sent, I find that I'm able to find my place here thanks to a few close contacts. In life, you'll never know how close someone will be in your life until you take the effort to get to know them better. A stranger can be your friend over time. Similarly, a friend can become total stranger as time passes by.

What they say is right, friends come and go. Some left a mark, some left good memories, some left scars, many others were just a whiff of air. Throughout the time in my absence, many friends become acquaintances and disappeared. Few close friends remained in close contact. But my family doesn't make me feel that I have left home at all. That's the beauty of family. Guys, thanks for sticking around through my ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone who wants to contribute his/her opinion on the content of this blog, you're welcome to do so. Any feedback, whether constructive or not, is deemed helpful to further development of this blog.